Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nVidia tnt2 M64: AGP support not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightshifters

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
LK
Hello!
I have a celeron 466 MHz MMX, 128 SDRam,windows 98 with Directx 8.0, and raffles M\B with 3 PCI, 1 AGP [1x\2x] slots.
MB chipset is via 82c691[ apollo 133], supports 66, 100 MHz bus speeds and has an Award PnP BIOS 4.51 PG dated 2000.2.18.

1.I recently bought nVidia TNT2 Full AGP card [ with agp 2x\4x] , but when I plug it in, Windows only detects it as a PCI compatible VGA card. Drivers install normally including latest Detonator
XP drivers without any problem. Although Directx 8.0,BIOS,and VGA drivers state that Agp 2x is enabled, actually they aren't.
The performance is absolutely poor and there is no difference in performance whether I disabled or enabled AGP support in Directx. In other words
I think that 3D card's AGP support is not used by any way. When i plug this card on a PIII machine it detected it as an AGP card and worked well.
I did all the stuff in software side by tweaking, overclocking, installing Via 4in 1' s, installing latest drivers, tweaking every option in Bios [enabling IRQ's for USB & VGA and others]....etc..but
There is absolutely no improvement. Though M\B is 100 MHz capable, it runs in 66 MHZ and 133 MHZ capable 128 MB DIMM too runs at 66 MHz. There is a
jumper in the M|B, I changed it to force the front side bus speed to 100 MHz from 66 MHZ. And the system halted without passing the POST. And the Bios's
cpu speed option only lets to change between 66 and 75 Mhz only.

How can I enable 100 MHz bus speed?
Does older main boards does not support latest 3d cards that use agp?
Should bios update will solve this?
Or changing the main board to a newer one is the only option?
Please answer me, all your replies are highly appreciated.

Gordon Knights [knighflight@wow.lk]

Try installing updated drivers for the video card. The poor performance may be due to the fact that its a low end cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back