Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVIDIA GeForce 7050 on ASUS P5N73-AM mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

lejongleur

Programmer
Feb 21, 2005
US
Hi everybody - I have a PC that I'm setting up (either XP Pro or Vista Ultimate - decision not made yet.) Anyway, I want to run Pinnacle Studio 12 on it and one of the requirements for the software is:

DirectX 9 or 10 video card with 64MB (128MB recommended); Pixelshader 2 required for some features.

The motherboard is a ASUS P5N73-AM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Micro ATX Intel. It has 2GB of DDR2-667 RAM.

My question is: Does anyone know if this motherboard fills the requirements for Studio 12, in terms of graphics?

I appreciate any opinions...Chris

IMHO, I would go with a separate GFX card, rather than a build in one, reason the build in ones share system RAM, are slower... and the 7050 is not DX10 capable...

secondly, I would opt for a faster GPU than the 7050, e.g. 8600, 8800, 9600, 9800, with at least 512mb...

that way you have plenty of graphic power with enough room to spare...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I would basically agree with the others on this on.
Yes the built in Nvidia graphics is DX9 compatible but you would definately benefit from an addon GPU (doesn't have to be anything too expensive)
Also Vista pretty much uses 1gig to run and these sorts of programs like loads of memory so look to push your memory to 3gig with 32bit install of Vista.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Guys - thanks for your input. Looks like the project may be changing, and I will be using a Dual core Pentium mobo. However, I get the common thread - if I want to run Pinnacle or Premiere I will need to get a better graphics card than usually comes built-in to the mobo.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced dual head graphics board that will handle DirectX and video quality video?

Thanks again!!!...Chris

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced dual head graphics board that will handle DirectX and video quality video?
This is almost any GFX card sold today...

I would look at the nVidia 9600 (mid range) and 9800 (high end), both have been replaced by the GTX 260 and 280, respectively, and should fall in an affordable range... IMHO...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Nvidia 9600GT a good mid sector choice.
Then going up in price..an ATI 4850
Followed by ATI's 4870 (big drop in price recently)
But honestly the 9600GT would be fine.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back