Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nVidia GeForce 2 64MB DDR and Win XP - crash problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbozic

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
When I play 3D games, at first everything is OK. Everything runs perfectly and smoothly. Then after a few minutes the game crashes and windows xp prompts that there has been an error and whether I want to send it to microsoft. Some games just kick me back to windows without any messages, and some games give me an unknown exception error. All of these errors I get after a few minutes of gameplay, usually a different number of minutes each time, so there is no consistent time. I should have the latest drivers and updates. Any ideas?

Thanks.

NB

Typical overheating senario!
What R your system specs?
Have you got adequate case cooling, big enough heatsink/fan combo for the processor, is graphics card fan seizing? or being sheilded (always best to leave the first slot clear so the graphics card has good air circulation)
Adequate power supply for spec?
Latest Detonator drivers. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Martin, you might be right, overheating might be the problem, but i'm still not sure. I do have a case fan (although not a big one) and the card has a fan too and both fans work properly. There is a small space between the video card and the sound card, although there is an empty slot between them (almost 2 inches between the cards, and 1 inch between the fan and the sound card).

System:
- Pentium 4 1.8GHz (with regular fan)
- 384MB DDR Ram
- nVidia GeForce 2 TIVX 64MB DDR (with fan)
(with latest Detonator drivers)
- Win XP Pro with all new drivers and all newest updates

By the way, where can I get an overclocking program and underclock the card to test if it solves the problem?

Thanks. NB

not 100% on this one but:
1) as with amd and intel....those processors get HOT, the regular fan will not work. you need a good copper heatsink and a powerful fan to jet the hot air out. could also be a power issue...
2)you sure the power supply meets p4 standards? if not, the motherboard will not give adequate supply of power to the power-hungry geforce cards! look into that
3)with windows xp, is your hard drive FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS "sometimes" just wont work for games especially older games.

thats all i can think of at the moment

-jared weinfurtner

I have the same problem ... and worse.

Games will crash in a way similar as described by nbozic.

But also at times the system will just reboot... even when I am running my system (P4, 512 MB) 'clean' (e.g. just booted up, no ´weird´ apps running' the screen will just go black, immediately followed by a system reboot. This can happen anytime, e.g. when i am browsing the web, checking mail, etc.

When the system comes back on, XP tells me that a driver on the system is causing my problem.

I am using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Would this also be a heating issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back