Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nvidia drivers and 1 gig ddr memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slybri

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Ive just built a new system running 1 gig of 266 ddr memory.
I installed windows XP with no problems.But after installing windows ME I installed my nvidia geforce 2 mx drivers and after a restart I could not set my desktop beyond 16 colour or my P.C crashed so reading somewhere that it could be because im running more than 512 memory,I took out 512 and restarted my P.C. and bingo it works ,can anyone tell me if there is a patch for windows ME to correct this problem........

The patch is WINDOWS XP.

I am REALLY puzzled why you would install Windows XP, and then remove it, and put on Window ME.

Windows ME...... has problems with RAM over 512.
There really is LOTS written on this, but personally, I won't waste ONE minute of my time even bothering to look it up, because I DO NOT like Windows ME.

Right now,,,,,,, I'm on a computer with 1 GIG - RDRAM ( A Pentium 4 Northwood - Intel 850 Chipset) and Windows 98 SE.
Runs fine,,,,,,,,,
*** HOWEVER, I just got my new fast ATA/133 HD, and I'm going to use Windows XP Pro. Period. NO memory hassles,,,,,,,, stability that Windows ME NEVER had, and no memory hassles..... oh, did I already say that ? :)

> FOR YOUR ANSWER: *NO* Microsoft patch

For possible solutions to HELP a little,,,,,,,,,

GOOGLE SEARCH

Search terms: Windows ME memory tweaks, etc

I had the same problems but Following jakespeare advice I found the answers at and These sites have the answers and explanations.
In short; I added the following lines to the [vcache] section of the system.ini file, installed the two 512Mb DDR's, fired up - hey presto everything is working brilliantly on the ATI AGP card.
---------------
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=512000
chunksize=2048
namecache=4096
directorycache=96
---------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back