Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nvidia Driver Puts PC Into Standby Mode @ Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
Acer Veriton 6900pro system
Nvidia Geforece 8500GT PCIe
4GB DDR2 pc5300
500w psu
XP Pro SP3

We are having some weird issues with the above system. When brought to us, the system was riddled with viruses and spyware but the hardware worked fine.

It was so badly infected that we had to do a complete reinstall of windows. After the reinstall, when booting up, the system would go to the welcome screen and then BSOD, with a page fault in non-paged area error.

So we figured - bad RAM - and replaced it with known good RAM, still the BSOD. So we replaced the video card, still BSOD. We then replaced the SATA drive, the PSU and reinstalled windows, still BSOD.

We then updated the bios and reinstalled windows. We updated all chipset and any other driver that had an update. The computer seemed to work fine. We installed windows genereic nvidia driver through windows update and the computer goes into standby mode as soon as you log into windows.

We uninstall the nvidia driver and system boots fine. We download the latest Nvidia driver for the card from the Nvidia website and again the system goes into standby mode as soon as you login. The only way to get the system going again is to unplug it, wait a few minutes and plug it back in again.

The system was working fine with the video card installed before we reinstalled windows and now, no matter what we try, the system will not work with Nvidia drivers loaded.

Is there something we are missing that we haven't tried?
We pretty much replaced every piece of hardware on the system and still, it will not work with a video card in the PCIe slot and proper drivers installed. The only other software installed is what is preinstalled with the recovery, Acer eRecovery, eLock, eEmpowering Technology and such.

Any help would be greathly appreciated!

May sound strange, go into the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULT VALUES, this has cleared things up once in a while for me in the past...

from the STOP error, it could also indicate failing hardware or some software that is corrupt:

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

my suggestion would be to do a CLEAN install of XP, not using the ACER disks but rather another OEM version that does not come bundled with crAPPS...

if that fails, then it maybe time to move on and forget that aging system...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I think we found part of the problem. It would seem that although we used the system configuration utility to stop all non-essential programs and services and also started in safe mode, there must have been some Acer garbage still loading, although nothing appeared to be running in task manager. Just for the heck of it, I started uninstalling all the Acer stuff - eLock, eData Secure etc. The problem seemed to go away.

We then installed AVG AntiVirus and we started getting the page fault in non-paged error again. We uninstalled AVG and the problem went away. ???

What really makes things bizzare is that we reinstalled windows without the PCIe video card and just went with the preloaded software and onboard video. Once again, as soon as it automatically installed the video driver (this time an Intel)the system blue screened. This problem, again, went away when we uninstalled the Acer software.

So apparently Acer's software is incompatable with their own systems! Still get the BSOD with AVG as well so we installed Avast and so far it's been running with only one error logged. Stranger still, the system log and a MS popup shows that the same error occured with the same even id but it never bsod'd or restarted. This is just so messed up!

Acer restore disk are not very good. I've had to let a machine recover overnight without touching it, took like 10 hours. It booted to a desktop and I thought everything was ok, and was trying to test it out, and kept getting weird errors. So I looked in task manager,and saw something I didn't recognize and googled it, and found it was the acer recovery program trying to finish up. I then restarted the restore, and just let it go. The restore isn't done until it is at the point where windows wants you to enter a name.

Then go in and delete all the acer crap.

All seems to be fairly stable now. The only problem now is it sometimes doesn't want to power down all the way. It has something to do with the Intel ME BIOS extension. You sometimes have to hold the power button in to completley cycle the system off. But at least the system is somewhat stable now.

Thanks.

BadBigBen said:
my suggestion would be to do a CLEAN install of XP

Only way to get rid of all the issues for sure, instead of piecemeal fixing is to do what BBB suggested.

Then you can go and manually reinstall whatever updates, drivers, apps, are necessary. For the AV, you could try something besides AVG as well. I'd go for Microsoft Security Essentials for the most no-brain solution. Otherwise, I'd go with Avira Antivir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back