Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nvidia 9800 GT EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco7

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
Hello All

I Am running 2008 Server converted to workstation set up with dual monitor LG1933TR and LG 42" TV. I had a ATI 4850 video card but could not get driver to install ATI dose not support 2008 Server, other then only having a generic driver it seemed fine, booting up process was seen on both, seeing BIOS was seen on both, now with the new 9800 GT EE I can only see the boot up process and BIOS on the regular monitor, on the TV it says no signal and just before getting to the password screen it comes to life, other then that the card performs well.
I had called PNY who made the card and the TECH said that was normal and that function is turned off internally, I asked is there a way to change that, perhaps he said but Im not at liberty to say how as it would void your warranty.
Anyone have a clue how to fix that issue?

I am a bit confused, are you saying that it switches display? meaning, that on the monitor it shows the BIOS info and then switches to the TV for Windows? if that is not the case than please elaborate and clear up the confusion for me...

if that is the scenario, that should be changeable through the settings in the nVidia control panel, by telling it that the MONITOR is the PRIMARY monitor...

and the ATI 4850 not being able to install drivers on Server 2008... Don't know where you got that one from, but the Catalyst drivers should install just fine, as they support VISTA (Windows 2008) and Windows 7 (Windows 2008r2)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

When the ATI 4850 was installed what ever was on the monitor on boot up or going into the BIOS was seen on the TV/MONITOR now with the 9800 GT booting or going into the BIOS is only seen on the monitor, no signal is shown TV/MONITOR until just before the password screen then everything is fine. The monitor is set to primary and I tried to make the TV/MONITOR primary, didnt make a difference. The TV/MONITOR is in another room with keyboard and mouse.

As far as the ATI 4850 the latest driver which was 10-9 when selecting that it would install the catalyst manager and not the driver, say driver was loaded but not installed, i tried thru the command prompt also and the device manager with no luck, im using 2008 Server Enterprise R2 there seems to be a lot of others having the same problem also that is why i switched to the 9800 GT. If you have a way to install the ATI driver and 2008 will accept them id make the switch in a heart beat.

ah.. now I see what you mean...

ok, as far as I know, the nVidia card, on power up, detects the monitor, and outputs any info to that port only, once the drivers kick in it also outputs to the TV...

so you may not get around that issue at all...

as to installing the latest drivers for the HD 4850, see:

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver

or get a hold of version 10.7 and install that instead...

and my knowledge was based on 10.6, did not know about the problems with 10.8+... so I apologize for the first post, if it seemed a bit off... ;)

here you can get older drivers:
keep us posted...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben thanks for the reply anyway yes you are correct about the Nvidia card but when you have a 42" monitor you get spoiled . I am going to pull it out in the morning and put back the 4850 back and try to get the drivers in. This version of 2008 Server Enterprise R2/windows7 ran great with the 9800 should run awesome with the 4850 once i get the drivers in, thanks again for the feed back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back