Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVidia 6200 Video Playback performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikes

Technical User
Mar 27, 2006
CA
Just switched to a new system.The new one (AMD64 3500 , 3GIgs of RAM) is humming along quite nicely compared to my previous machine (P2, 1Gig)). The only major quibble is video playback.On the new machine the picture is grainier, less sharp, and overall much worse then on my previous machine even though I am using the same monitor ( Viewsonic VX 900)

Could it be that my new PCIe 6200 Nvidia (256 mB) is that much inferior to my old ATI 9600 Pro (128 RAM)? when it comes to video playback?

I know it is a low end card (much like the 9600 was), but I did not expect such deterioration. Is this an issue with the card? Have installed the latest drivers, but with no effect. Are there settings that I have missed?

Cheers in advance
Frank

Couple of things:
Is this a flat screen TFT? have you set resolution and refresh rates to the defaults (usually 1024 X 1280 @ 60Hz) for 17 and 19inch panels.

Your older 9600Pro was a middle ranking card in it's time
The 6200 is entry level now, not much in it.

Also is the a "Turbo Cache" model? basically has either 32 or 64mb onboard and shares the rest from system memory.
Not very good!
Having said this even basic video cards nowadays should play video without issues.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Right, video playback shouldn't be an issue here, as ANY card made in the last 6-7 years should handle it fine.

Are you using the same software to play videos? the same video files?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I'm using an 19inch flat panel at the usual resolution as well as the indentical software (Winamp, VLC) that I always did.

Guess that I'll have to upgrade. Thanks for the replies you two

Cheers
F.

strikes
Upgrade, why? even though the 6200TC? is a basic graphics card, both cdogg and myself have told you it should play DVD as good as anything else.
DVD playback is a fairly basic requirement of any video card nowadays, days have long since gone when an additional "movie card" had to be added for DVD playback ie TNT2 and ATI Rage Pro were amongst the first cards that could handle DVD so we are talking at least 6 years ago.
A 6200TC is many times more capable than these early cards.

You said "usual resolution" so what would that be then?

Remember other users gain from the Full and descriptive answers that both poster and Postie make, so please don't stop short in your replies and to add to this, always post back if you find a resolution to your problem, it could be that your answer benefits another user on this forum and thats what it's all about.

Martin

Cheers again,

the resolution I use for playback is usually 1024x 718, but for normal day to day activity I use the recommended (native)1280x1024.

Using either resolution, however, still results in a fuzzier and in general poorer picturequality . Since the card comes with a myriad of settings options, I had hoped that someone here ecountered a similar problem and had found a solution. In ther end, I suspect that the card itself is inferior to the 9600Pro when it comes to video playback quality, given what martin mentioned about the shared memory .

Cheers
Frank

strikes
Well Nvidia did produce a superior version of this card that didn't share system memory, this model wasn't as common as the "Turbo Cache" ones though.
ATI cards have in the past had a slight edge in 2D quality, this maybe an historic perception as I believe Nvidia pretty much caught up with the 6 and 7 series.

Have you tried differant DVD player software?

Martin

both cdogg and myself have told you it should play DVD as good as anything else and Right, video playback shouldn't be an issue here, as ANY card made in the last 6-7 years should handle it fin
This should not be inferior for the use that you posted.

It is a lesser card than the ATI 9600Pro, but if you are receiving "fuzzy" video for DVD viewing, it is not the cards ability.

Just do not want you to expend $ to end up with the same problem as there is another root cause for this.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Strikes,
Memory on the card has very, very little to do with video playback. DVD-video is 2D, which requires very little memory bandwidth and size. Most 2D environments require less than 12MB of memory. An old 16MB PCI card from 1998 should be able to handle "video" just as well as any card today (if you keep the screen resolution at a reasonable size).

Therefore, your problem must be something else. Either the software you are using hasn't been tweaked propery for this card, or perhaps the right settings haven't been enabled for the card in Windows.

And what about other applications like text? How does that appear? Usually you would see fuzziness in text as well as video if there was a hardware problem on the card. If you have any other card to put in place of the 6200, that would be a good test before spending more $...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Cheers Cdogg,
this is what I thought initially. All other apps are running better on the new system with the new card, including all 2D programs.

I have fiddled with the settings at infinitum, but have not hit upon the solution yet. Still, the video is watchable, just not as good as before. I'll stick with it for now .....

Thank-you everyone for your kind replies .

Cheers
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back