Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

numeric value not stored as entered (X.90000009536743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycotropic

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
US
HELP!
OK; I type in 5.1 into a field where;
field size = Single
format = standard
decimal places = 1
and, when i export that value to excell it tells me that the value is;

I didn't type that number in Bill - where did it come from?

this also hapens in a file defined as;
field size = Single
format =
decimal places = 1

In many cases the difference between what I type and what Access stores is;
which makes me think that a standard process is occuring without my requesting it.

Please help - these are lab values and MUST be stored as I type them in.

Thank you for any help you can give;

Greg Kinney "Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

i have had this too in the past: when i added two single-decimal numbers it came up with an answer like you have above. We figured it was that Pentium floating decimal point problem? dunno...i'm sure they fixed that after the first round of chips so now it may be a MS bug....anyhow I read an article and ended up changing the field type to Currency, or a query's field type to Currency--i can't remember and can't put my fingers on which db i'd done that in right now....i just fiddled around a little with your issue, and cannot, no matter what format i make it, make it work...except for a quick fix which is to make a query based on your table, and in each field format it:

Field1a: format([Field1],"0.0")

then export the query. I am still digging around on MS site to find a solution but thought this would help you in the mean time.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back