Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

numeric overflow when importing in linked table

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyit

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
NL
Hi,

Importing a text file into a linked table causes a numeric overflow. The odd thing is that when doing the import into the same table when it is not linked (ie. it is in the DB) it is no problem at all. The whole import routine worked fine for the past year (daily base), but not since the db is split into a fe & be. I cannot find much info about the source of this problem, on the web or tek-tips, just that others have had the same problem. Maybe somebody knows?

Things I have tried:
switched importspec file from delimited to fixed - same result
import into local table, existing and non existing: both worked fine

EasyIT

I don't know the cause of the problem but could you import into a Temp local table; append to the linked table and then drop the temp table?

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

numeric overflow
A common cause is trying to load a Long value into a Smallint column.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Golom:

Yes I could, and I know that it works. However, I want to know the 'why'. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this behavior.

PHV:

Ofcourse I agree with you on that. To my knowledge I don't have any fields other then text in the table. Is there a difference between a internal table and a linked table in this matter? Any 'hidden' columns? The table doesn't have any key fields either; just text fields.

EasyIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back