Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numeric keys on Mac with AZERTY-keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschenke

Programmer
Jun 19, 2001
BE
Hi All,

Here's something I had been struggling with yesterday; I just thought I'd share the solution with you.

The problem started when one of our users tried to enter the articles in our invoicing program by scanning the codes in via a barcode scanner. The program constantly returned the wrong articles, whereas typing the same value manually was not a problem.
We then tried scanning the codes into SimpleText, and everything showed up just fine. So the problem had to be somewhere in FoxPro. Curiously enough, this was not a problem when the keyboard was changed from AZERTY to QWERTY.

On AZERTY keyboards, the numeric keys have to be accessed by holding the SHIFT key. This creates no problems on a wintel-computer, but when you run the same program on a mac, things go weird.
If the user doesn't use the numeric keyboard, but instead inputs the number by pressing SHIFT-é (which = 2), then FoxPro will not treat this as a 2, but select to the end of the line.

The reason for this is that when FoxPro starts, it fills up the macros for SHIFT-1 through SHIFT-0 with its own shift_n macros.
Thus, the solution is to do a CLEAR MACROS at the start of your program, then setup the macros you want to use throughout the program.

Hope this saves someone a headache,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time." (De Rochefoucald)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back