Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Numeric Field Overflow running Update Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisj01

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
Hello,

I have an Access2000 DB. It has a link table to a CSV that changes daily. I run an update query to copy data from the CSV to an Access table. Occasionally I will get an error message that says "Numeric Field Overflow" and that's all. The numeric fields are all set to Double but don't ever have a decimal value. I've looked and all the fields appear to be numbers.

Any Ideas? Microsoft came up empty when I searched on this error message.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi

Only idea I can offer is to try and track down the line where the error occurs.

Next time it occurs, sply csv file in half and repeat the laod on each half, see which half the error is in, for the half with the error in, split it in half and repeart on each half and so on you will soon be down to a manageable number of lines to inspect Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

interesting approach.

Might - if you are interested in detective work - load the CSV into memory as a single string and split it into an array of "Lines" and "Columns", then do various V&V operations on the array.

I usually advise not even attempting to simply 'merge' information from 'foregin' sources into a production table w/o the V&V process anyway, so the above process is just one approach to "Safe db".

The other -and perhaps- more common approach is to load your 'new' info into a temp table, do the V&V ops on that entity, marking all records which are NOT acceptable, and then updating the production table(s) with the remainder (those which PASS all of the V&V testing). If your are 'Mr. Nice Guy' (or the boss / situation DEMANDS it), you can also 'return' any 'bad' records to their origin for correction and re-submittal.

In any case, I do recommend that you NOT attempt to directly manipulate production data from externam sources. Always go through SOME type of grooming process to assure the new info is at least reasonable!

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back