Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

numbered lists numbers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubgirl

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I'm using Word 2000. I have some long lists in a table that I need to number automatically. If I use the numbering button or insert/field/number, the numbers want to stay sequential. Normally this is a good thing for a list, BUT after I apply the numbering to the list, I then need those numbers to become normal text and stay put. I need to be able to then re-sort the list, but the numbers have to stay with their initially applied row.

If I turn off field codes after inserting field numbers I get the "normal text" but they all turn to #1.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!! I have a HUGE project to manage and figuring this out will save lots of hand numbering...

I can use the style to easily get the numbering. But after I have my numbers in place, I don't want the numbers to change if I re-sort the list.

For example, if I have:
1. apple
2. bear
3. car
and I shuffle my list, the numbers want to stay in the same order, not stay with their original word.
1. bear
2. car
3. apple
I was thinking turning off field codes would solve this, but it doesn't...

Nice one, Skip,

Paste-Special is a powerful beast, have a star.

Enjoy,
Tony

This rocks my world!! thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back