Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

number of page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcatena

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
HI

i have a big document (700 pages)
Some of page of this document need to be reviewed
I wants to added some pages (in this example after page 12)
Is it possible to number added pages like this
12a
12b

and continu after 13, 14, 15, .....
i know i can do that by using separate file and a book
but can do that in the same file

rgds

I don't know a Frame-function for this. As far as I know Frame's page numbering mechanism doesn't work like the paragraph numbering mechanism - there are no different counters within page numbering.

The problem is: how to make references (eg. "see xxxx on page yy") with those multi counter page numbers?

If you don't need such refernces, you could probably define a special numbering text frame anchored (named and concatenated) on the master page. Then you make two paragraph formats with special numbering:
- "pagenumber" defined as "P:<n+>" in the numbering section of the paragraph format
- "pagenumber a" defined as "P:<n><a+>"

On the working page 1 you position the cursor in this frame and assign "pagenumber" to this paragraph. For a 700-page-document know you have to add 700 Carriage returns, and on page 13 and 14 you assign "pagenumber a" to this gape number paragraphs. So they are printed as 12a and 12b, and the original page 15 now has the number 13.

But that is no good solution - it's a simple workaround that draves you crazy when you have to update the document one year later.

The really best solution is to cut the document in pieces and make a book out of it. In a book file, you can define page numbers alphabetically, if you alter the variable "actual page number".

Thomas M. Reuter
Munich/Germany
-------------------
[Mac G4DP, OS 10.3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back