Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of client licenses in cluster environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubacs

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2004
HU
Hello,

Could u pls. help me out for the following problem...
I've to install an nbu DC 4.5 software environment for our customer and I don't have an idea how many number of client licenses my customer should buy.
The backup environment:
1x E250 master/media server
2x Sun E10k, each with 4 domains, ie 8 backup clients.
The cluster software is Sun cluster 2.2.
So we have 4 piece of 2-node clusters where we should buy 8 backup clients for back up the physical nodes's filesystems (ie. /, /var and so on...). But we have got some logical hosts on each cluster (about 3 lh on each cluster) I think I will back up applications and their data through the logical hosts (because it will be independent from the physical host).
Could someone tell me should i have to buy licenses for logicalhosts or the 8 physical nodes clients licenses are enough for me?

How does the netbackup license engine work? How count nbu master server the used licenses (from took up clients or parallel running clients)?
Summarize: So Do I need to buy about 20 client licenses or just 8?

thank you

--Gubacs

Typically - Veritas licenses are based on physical CPU's so it depends on your CPU count. In a cluster that we have we purchased Tier 3 licenses for each Node of the cluster.

If you have tape devices then it is a tape license for each tape drive as well as a license for each robotics control unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back