Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number counting in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

onn99

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2000
AU
Hi,

Just wondering if there is a formula/function in excel that is capable of counting numbers sequences?

what i need is a formula or function that will go throught a field of data say from (A1:D10) and count how many times consecutive ascending number occur (i.e numbers sequence that is going up (3,5,6....)).

The rule for it counted as a valid sequence is if 3 or more consecutive ascending numbers occur. Kinda like how many high spikes of voltage hits before a low one came.

I hope I made this clear enough, the counter will then place those sequence in another set of cell to be sorted in acending order in order of the highest differences first to the lowest spike differences.

I was hoping there to be a standard excel formular for this, please tell me there is, because I hate to be writing the math formular manually because I failed my math class 3 years straight.

Many thanks in advance.

onn99

No standard formula that I know of (and I know a lot of standard formulae) - Reckon you'll need either a User Defined Function or a macro to acheive this

Rgds
Geoff
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back