Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number as text

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlp

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
I am linking an Excel sheet to Access 2000. I have two fields that should be treated as Text and are defined as Text in Excel. Both contain some items that are alpha-numerical and some that are all numerical. The link sets up both fields as Text, but items that are all numerical are being brought in as numbers and I receive the Num#! error on those items. If I put a space in front of the number items, it reads as text which is a possibility but would require editing all new data. I thought the Text label meant read everything as Text. Suggestions on how to get it to bring in any data in these fields as text?

It sounds as if Access is setting a data type based on the first row it sees? Can you dummy up an earlier row in the Excel s/s that has a text guy there, not just a number treated like text?

Ex-JimAtTheFAA
78.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Another free Access forum:

Thanks for your comment. I have been able to get the column set as both number and text. Number setting won't read text and text setting won't read numbers.

Subsequent to my message, I found documentation on Microsoft website that Access determines col type by first 8 items in the column (don't know exactly what happens when it is mixed). Their doc indicated that numerical items to be treated as Text have to be converted to include a blank space at the front in order to be read as text. I don't understand why that should be necessary, but that seems to be the solution. They provide a macro to do that but I think it is easier to do in Excel with concatenate or & function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back