Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

numa-q dynix/ptx encryption solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

binzer33

MIS
Jun 6, 2000
US
Can anybody suggest an encryption solution to  encrypt and un-encrypt a data file that can be attached to an e-mail that can run on the above DYNIX/PTX operating system.

I think PGP has been ported to most platforms.<br><br>You'd like to send an email, with the attachment, to a mailbox on a ptx system - unencrypt and run it there. Is that right? <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Somewhat. Here's the path that this data is taking.. The data file is&nbsp;&nbsp;created in an Vax environment then sent to an IBM mainframe then sent via connect direct to a NT server where Lotus Notes is resident. A Notes agent then is kicked off to send this data file as an attachement in an e-mail to our customer whose platform is running dynix/ptx.<br><br>I have found a couple of encryption solutions that are windows based but I am having a difficult time finding anything else that can run on this operating system.&nbsp;&nbsp;The customer's mail delivery is SendMail.<br><br>&nbsp;

Is the problem in getting sendmail to accept the attachment or finding an encryption (for security) solution that runs on both platforms?<br><br>If the former, use uuencode.

yes the problem is finding an encrytion solution that is compatible with both platforms..

PGP is available in source code form for Unix.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even if pre-compiled binaries aren't available, you can get the source and compile it.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Assuming you've got a C compiler on the Dynix box...)<br><br>You could then put PGP on the NT server with Lotus Notes.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is the tricky bit - I don't know if the agent you mention, or Lotus Notes, could call up PGP to encrypt the e-mail before sending it on to the Dynix box.<br><br>If you can get the PGP encrypted mail to the Dynix box, it should then be possible to set something up for a user to decrypt the mail.&nbsp;&nbsp;(You wouldn't want to set up sendmail to auto-decrypt, for the obvious security reasons, but setting up something with the Dynix mail client should be possible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back