Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nulls to Zero 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianman

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US

I have run into this problem in repeated instances. I am trying to get query results that are null to return a zero value so I can chart them. I am using Access 97. I have heard rumors about a subquery working, but have failed in my attempts. I don't know if this will help, but here is SQL. This is a qry just to get a chart to have connected lines in a report instead of spaces where there are nulls.

PARAMETERS [forms]![frmmonth]![branch] Text;
SELECT tblYear.Year, tblYear.Month, Sum(qrymonth.Placements) AS Placements
FROM qrymonth RIGHT JOIN tblYear ON (qrymonth.Month = tblYear.Month) AND (qrymonth.Year = tblYear.Year)
GROUP BY tblYear.Year, tblYear.Month
HAVING (((tblYear.Year) Between [forms]![frmmonth]![beginning] And [forms]![frmmonth]![end]));

p.s. Had to enclude the parameters to get the chart to work.

Try:

PARAMETERS [forms]![frmmonth]![branch] Text;
SELECT tblYear.Year, tblYear.Month, Val(Nz(Sum(qrymonth.Placements),0)) AS Placements
FROM qrymonth RIGHT JOIN tblYear ON (qrymonth.Month = tblYear.Month) AND (qrymonth.Year = tblYear.Year)
GROUP BY tblYear.Year, tblYear.Month
HAVING (((tblYear.Year) Between [forms]![frmmonth]![beginning] And [forms]![frmmonth]![end]));

Duane
MS Access MVP

before you execute your query above can you execute some code that sets Null values to 0?

Like this...

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE YourTableName SET YourFieldName = 0
WHERE YourFieldName Is Null"

hope this helps.

This might not be possible since there are probably no records to update. The query is a RIGHT JOIN so there are most likely months that didn't have corresponding records in qryMonth.

Duane
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back