Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NULL Values, how to capture them in Date field

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacalano

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2008
US
Hi. I have a bit of code to look for any records with NULL. What I need is this. Check first if the EOS_Date field contains NULL. If so, show "eos" text and exit the IF statement. Error trapping I'd say is what I'm doing here. Instead, it's doesn't trap the NULL field and send it to the calculation line (after 2nd ELSE).

When I test using a different field in the same table, I get the expected results, so my if structure is ok. So, it's something to with checking for NULLS. Syntax error possibly?

thanks in advance. please help. tx.
_______
<% If TRIM(FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Codes")) = "UKRP" _
OR TRIM(FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Codes")) = "EEP" _
OR TRIM(FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Codes")) = "UK" Then %>

<%Else%>

<% If TRIM(FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"EOS_Date")) = "" Then %>
<td nowrap><font size="2" face="Arial">no eos date

<%Else%>

<td nowrap><font size="2" face="Arial"><%=FormatCurrency(FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Ref_Price")* FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"EOS-Today") /FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"EOS-HP_INTRO")) %></font></td>

<%End If %>
<%End If %>

Are you looking for empty text fields or for nulls or for both?

If you are looking for both, and the data comes from SQL Server, you could use:

Code:
ISNULL(fieldname, "") AS fieldname

in your SQL statement. That will retrieve nulls as empty text which should match "" in your code.

Oops ... Sorry, that should be single quotes in the SQL

Hmm. It doesn't work. The null turns into Jan 1 1900 12:00AM. You have to use a CAST statement first. Something like:

Code:
ISNULL(CAST(fieldname as varchar),'') as fieldname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back