Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null values again? I want zero number display...Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickyWinters

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
US
I am having a real problem with this null value. I did a crosstab query with female, male, unknown, as column headings. I wizarded a monthly report from the query. Some months contain all females, therefore, leaving blanks in my report for males. How do I get the blank cells to display zero numbers so that I can subtotal and total the amounts?

I have tried the property OnNoData as:
msgbox ("0")
cancel = true
This does nothing to my report. Still blank cells.

I have tried the control source as:
=Nz([Male], 0)
and
=Nz([Male], "0")
and
=IIf(IsNull([Male]), "0", [Male])

These either give me an error or does nothing to my cells. At times these functions don't even adhere to the box, unless I type the formula directly into the text box.

I don't know much about SQL so I did not try anything in that area. If I could get the query to display zeros that should solve my problem with the reports.

I tried looking through the forum for similar problems. The solution appears as the control source above, but it does not work for me. I also have Counts and Sums presently in some of the control sources already. How would I code those with the formula above? Example: =Sum([Females]

Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Can you help? Please be descriptive. I, like most, on the forum, am learning.

Thanks in advance.

The NoData event is only meant for reports that contain no data at all (empty table / query)

I guess the Nz([male],0) function is the best solution here. There are two ways:

create a query, based on the table, that returns 0 where the table returns Null (using the Nz function) and base your crosstab on that one

If the sum is a total (not a subtotal per page), you might consider calculating the sum indepently of the report with a separate query (SELECT Count([Male] FROM your_table WHERE [Male]=1);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back