Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null Value is NOT Null????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyucknyucknyuck

Technical User
Jan 29, 2008
US
I have a field that APPEARS to be null, but I cannot seem to filter whatever it really is.

I've tried filter for spaces, and is null, but nothing comes up. How to I get a blank field to be null if I don't know what to find in order to replace.

I am trying to replace all blank fields with "Admin Assitant" but the query says there are no fields that are null even though HUNDREDS of the fields APPEAR to be empty.

Again, the "space" is not a space or a null value...

I'm stumped.

Are you testing one field or many? Are you using AND instead of OR?
Can you post your SQL?

But a bigger question:
You want to replace alot of blank cells with "Admin Assitant". In the first place, why do you have alot of blank cells which will be alot of "Admin Assitant"? Sounds like your table isn't normalized. Can you post your table structure: eg.
tblTableName
EmployeeID Primary Key
FirstName
LastName
etc.

You may need to redesign.

An empty string "" is neither null nor is it a space. Check for that as well.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Or select the records that have a len([field]) = 0.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

UPDATE yourTable
SET yourField = "Admin Assitant"
WHERE Trim(yourField & "") = ""

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back