Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Null formula discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalBox

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2005
US
I'm using Crystal Report 11. I've run into a bump in the road with the record selection formula shown below. The report displays cases that are "pending", which means that the cases have not been classified with a classification code or classification date. Once in awhile a case that has been given a "classification" and "classification date will show on my "pending" report. I discovered that sometimes users will enter the "classification" code and "classification date" and hit the return key a couple of times, creating a blank space in those fields. The record selection formula will pickup the blank space and place the record in my "pending" report. What can I add to this formula to prevent it from happening? Thank you

(isNull({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CLASSIFICATION}))
OR

(Trim({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CLASSIFICATION})= "")
AND
Trim({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CHANGE})=""

AND

IsNull({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.DATE})
OR {EXP_CLASSIFICATION.DATE} = date(0,0,0)

The following should select records with a blank or null classification AND a blank or a null date. Based on your question alone, I'm not sure where Trim({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CHANGE})="" fits in
Code:
(
isNull({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CLASSIFICATION}
 OR
Trim({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.CLASSIFICATION})= ""
) 
AND 
(
IsNull({EXP_CLASSIFICATION.DATE}
OR 
{EXP_CLASSIFICATION.DATE} = date(0,0,0)
)

Thanks CoSpringsGuy. The formula is doing what it supposed to do, it's identifying the blank or null field. But once in awhile a user will inadvertently enter data in the fields and then hit the return a couple times creating a new blank row. The formula bypasses the row with data and acts on the null/blank row, displaying the record as incomplete when in reality it has been completed and shouldn't show up on the report. I guess he formula should include a statement where data is present it should stop there and not evaluate the rest (null row). I'm at a loss on how I should proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back