Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NUC - Next Unit of Computing (by Intel) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
Does anyone have any experience with the "new" NUC (Next Unit of Computing) devices in a business environment?

I found them when looking for other future computer options at work, trying to bridge the gap between small out of the way devices and a full fledged desktop.

If anyone has had an opportunity to test with them, can you speak from what you have seen to:
[ul][li]Dependability[/li]
[li]Performance compared to other computers[/li]
[li]Warranty Support - if needed so far (I found options up to 3 years)[/li]
[li]Ease of use with wiring (sounds great, but I have no hands-on experience)[/li][/ul]

Or if you know of a comparable device you've worked with, can you share any information about it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I don't have any direct experience, but a friend of mine was using them for setting up home security systems. Basically using them to record security camera video and making it available to him via the Internet.

His pluses on them were, they were small and easy to hide, reasonable performance, fairly inexpensive, low power usage, low heat generation, and very quiet since some have no fans. On the minus side, they have limited expandability. They are a bad choice if you're a gamer, but it's probably a good way to go for business. Most business uses don't require a lot of CPU power, so they might be a good way to go.

Here's his write-up of using the NUC for a NVR:
Review on the Celeron version:
Actually, when he was reviewing these, the i7 version didn't exist, so more powerful versions are available now.

Hope this helps.

In general: Dependability - that is usually found out after about 3 years of people owning them and then it is only counted in blood/sweat/tears if the product is not that reliable. In other words, early adopters feel most of the pain.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

SamBones, thanks a lot for the links. That is some good info to have handy.

goombawaho, Re: 3 years: Who's gonna jump in a time machine, jump say 5 years into the future, then come back and tell me about it? I'll give ya a star! [bigglasses]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

The Intel NUC has been out for more than 3 years. They have been expanding and enhancing them since at least early 2013. They aren't quite what I'd call bleeding edge.

They are a niche product, but I don't consider them "new".

kjv1611 - I don't see a star for me yet!!! And that was my point exactly my point. A) They are niche a product so there aren't a million reviews out there about reliability and B) they haven't been out long enough for failures to be judged premature.

It would seem to me in general that computer stuff fails almost immediately (months) or it lasts over three years before failures begin. Maybe new wasn't the right word.

Sorry, goomb, but I didn't think it was helpful. What was helpful from the other was references of items to research and some real-life usage rather than general terms. We all should mostly know the general concepts.

I understand but look at what you actually wrote. You said you were going to give me a star. I'm just ribbing you at this point. Don't care about the star.

goombawaho, Re: 3 years: Who's gonna jump in a time machine, jump say 5 years into the future, then come back and tell me about it? I'll give ya a star!

[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back