Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntwrk neighborhood has tons of icons, not mine- security prob for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtosdf

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
I have two computers on my network. Both are Win ME. I am using a cable modem to connect to the internet. The question I have is in my network I have a ton of icons listed. I am thinking they are from my cable providers network. I was able to get into one of them and access the my documents on someones computer.

How can I remedy this? I do not want anything or anyone to show up other than my own two networked computers. Any suggestion how I could eliminate this security issue would be appreciated.

thanks
Kurt

Yes, you are not secure either in this configuration. Check your network properties and unbind all protocols on your Ethernet adapter that is connected to the Cable Modem except TCP/IP. This will prevent Windows File and print sharing from being sent down the ISP's network. This means all protocols and services inluding Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing have to be unbound to that same adapter. If you have two ip's so you can have both computers on the internet, a Cable Router is a great solution plus you only need one IP. Linksys, Netgear, and others make a great router which will quickly secure your computers. I would recommend taking measures pretty quickly as you are wide open to mischief.

In other words, when you opened Network Neighborhood you could litterally "see your neighborhood".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back