Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTTermServ 4: Terminal Services crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPUJockey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
Howdy!

I have several servers running NT Terminal Server 4. All have SP6a. On one of them, set up about a year ago, the terminal service crashes about once a week. This began about 2-3 months ago.

It still functions flawlessly as a server, but if you look at the Terminal Services Administrator, you see that 20+ RDP-tcp sessions are "down" (which is surprising because there are only about 4 users at a time and 8 users total - each login attempt seems to create another "down" RDP-tcp) instead of the normal 2 "idle" sessions.

I can still log on to the server from the console at this point and there is a .dll error message (which I don't have written down at the moment).

The only problem I can find in the event log is Event ID 21: "the specified session cannot be found" which sounds like it is trying to a disconnected/existing session, but most of these aren't.

Rebooting fixes it for about a week. Seems to happen over the weekend, but has happend in the mornings mid-week. ALWAYS happens first thing in the AM.

There are no complex programs running that would cause this and my other servers, which is identical in terms of software, never hicups.

Any thoughts appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back