Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP syncronisation - 4 hours offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riaan

MIS
Oct 19, 1998
ZA
When I try to sync Solaris 2.5.1 (+ Y2K patches) with an NTP server (AIX, or FreeBSD), via the command ntpdate [timeserver], the client (Solaris) jumps back 4 hours. This also happens with SCO OpenServer, but not on AIX, Linux or UnixWare clients. I used the builtin ntpdate&nbsp;&nbsp;and downloaded a more recent version of ntp (4.0.72 package), but still a 4 hours discrepancy on both platforms.<br>When I run the ntpdate -d [timeserver] command, I get the message (only last line given):<br>ntpdate: step time server 143.160.32.13 offset -14372.8737431<br>This offset in seconds, translates to about 4 hours (into the past)<br>(Timezones are not the issue - All UNIX boxes are using the South African timezone, or GMT+2 if the former is not specified within the configuration options.)<br><br>Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <p>Riaan van Niekerk<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>UNIX sysadmin <br>
Potchefstroom University<br>
South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back