Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dparrott

MIS
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hey all,

With the time change, I had to change the time on the phone system. During this, I found that the computer time did not match that of a local radio station, or any cell phones.

We are running server 2003, using Active Directory, with client machines running XP SP2. Looking at the GPO for the clients, they get the time from the Domain Controllers, and that is working fine (they are synced). When I looked at the domain controller's GPO the entry for NTP Server was "time.windows.com,0x1"

I found two Microsoft Technet articles describing the correct value for this. They are and
The only issue is that they don't match. One says the value should be "time.microsoft.com" and the other says "time.microsoft.com,0x1".

Does anyone know which of these is correct. I have currently changed the value to "time.microsoft.com" and if the time on the computer changes, I will assume that is correct. But if someone knows and can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Supposedly you need to append 0x1 to the end of each time servers DNS name if DNS names are used. If you use an IP you don't need it.

That said, I haven't had an issue when using a DNS and not appending 0x1.

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back