Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTP question on ntpupdate command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 22, 2002
SG
Hi experts,

I've a master server which sync to ntp time server daily by using xntpd daemon. Then my client servers will use ntpdate through cron job to synchronize the time hourly. (By using ntpupdate -s -B 'master server')

My question is, now I'll need to synchronize to a oracle server which running on oracle 9i. As we don't want to affect the service of oracle, we intend to use 'ntpupdate -s -B 'master server', the problem is by using '-B' option, althought the slew time may slowly update the time accordingly, in fact of using '-b' to update the time immdiately.

However we are thinking the time to be sync still very fast, if possible we would like to sync the time to oracle server in backgroup and maybe take 1 month to switch back to normal time. Now the time differece is around 10mins.

Hence I'd like to know is it possible to set the slew time by using 'ntpupdate -B', or can any expert give me an better idea.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Regards,

By using ntpdate, I think you are asking for trouble as the time jumps around. Better to always run ntp in daemon mode on your clients, so the clocks are always in sync with your master. ntp in daemon mode is almost no load and well understood.

egp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back