Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntp-effect on router cpu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogulcan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
TR

Hi,
Though i searched on internet i couldn't find any tip about the effect of ntp signalling load on cpu of routers and network bandwidth.We have a network containing 1350 units of routers ranging from 1700,2500,2600,3600s,to 4 X 7200 and 3X7500.For ntp configuration we want to choose the method of delivering time choosing the right servers,peers.

If it does not take to much cpu so i will make 3 units of 7500 router as ntp server but if it is problem for this much network so i will choose 80 routers over the country as servers...bandwidh is critical,cpu is critical .sure this will couse configuration difficulty..i am waiting for your valuable ideas...

I pondered this same question when I was implementing NTP on my network. I solved this by building a hierarchical design. You can assign stratum numbers to your NTP servers to say which one is the "top server". I made my 7500 series stratum 1 servers and divided them by geographical regions. Then at each hub site connected to these stratum 1 servers, I made them stratum 2 servers. Then I made all host sites just that....hosts. It works out really well and doesn't seem to be causing me any issues with CPU or memory. Good luck in your design.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Thank you for your valuable ideas Ipkonfig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back