Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

meloadri

Technical User
Apr 7, 2009
US
What are the steps to repair this from the windows cd? Can I just copy the file from i386 into the c:\winnt directory?

Issue is probably due to a corrupt boot.ini file. Repair the boot.ini file using the Recovery Console. Use the following KB article provided in the first link for help in correcting the boot.ini, replacing "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" with "Windows Server 2003, <Edition>" where specified.

- "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

- How To Use the Recovery Console on a Windows Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start

- I get the error "NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt" on bootup.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

That was my second option. i've been trying to expand the ntoskrnl.exe to the c: but iget access denied. why is that? Rebuilding my boot .ini, will it change it? maybe i should copy the original to a diskette in case that's not the issue.

Never a bad idea to make a backup before you make any changes. You may also want to go ahead and run a chkdsk /r on the drive as well.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back