Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTLDR is compressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjim

Programmer
Jan 4, 2001
PH
An online virus scan by Trend Micro revealed a file named ar.exe to be actually containing a virus. But Trend Micro couldn't delete it because "File In Use" and neither could I manually delete it. I tried to get into the Windows System Recovery Console but it said "NTLDR is compressed."

My questions are how do I get into the Windows System Recovery Console?
How did my NTLDR get compressed?
What is NTLDR?
How do I get the NTLDR uncompressed?

You likely compressed all files on your C: drive to save space. First make sure you can see all files. From file explorer "Tools, Folder Options", View Tab and remove checks from "Hide Protected Operating System Files..." and radio the option "Show hidden files and folders".

Now explore to c:\ and right cilck "ntldr" and click Properties, then Advanced. There is a check there to compress this file. Back in folder options, you can specify to show compressed files in an alternate color, I would turn that on to make it easier to spot compressed files. You can select more than one file at a time to set compression.

Compression is not available in all modes and you've run into one that it won't work with. It's a good idea to ONLY compress files that are less frequently used, are unimportant like word document archives for example. Do not compress files that are needed for the Operating System to boot, or are accessed frequently (any EXE will be if you use virus active scanners).

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

I have a WindowsXP version and have reloaded all drivers and keep getting the error message of NTLDR is compressed press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart. It keeps dropping off into DOS mode, and the only disk i have is the one to load the drivers.
What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back