Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntl: varying IPs via router

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am from uk and if u are too then u know what Ntl is. basically my ISP. I have a cable modem connection. Modem is plugged in router.Router there on provides DNS DHCP for the local lan.

problem is that my router settings show an IP of

It always stays the same meaning is static.

Now if i go on a website say the ip would change to 80.3.160.2 and then again if i check my ip from some other website it would show 80.3.160.5

Can anyone tell me what exactly is happening.As i want a fixed IP to host my website on no-ip.com using IIS.

Thanks in advance.

IP 80.3.160.5 is one of NTL transparent proxy/cache servers they have lots of them spread all over their network, when you goto a site and it detects the proxy servers IP instead of your IP.

81.96.40.181 is your IP and its not static, it just seems that way because you are connected all the time, the lease time on NTL is 24hrs i think, but DHCP leased renew at half their lease time.

For no-ip.com use 81.96.40.181 IP for it.

well okay but i have even tried that...configured port fwd. on my router still my site doesnt get hosted any clue about that...otherwise yuh i get ur point thanks alot.

Is there any firewalls running at all? If so you will also need to open the port 80.

And i take it you can access the site locally ok?

yuh i can access the site locally on my lan..works fine..and no firewalls on router either..

has anyone ever hosted a site via IIS on Ntl?

Does the site work with using the external IP by itself and not using the no-ip.com.

And check that the IP you have is correct to.

Also you might want to check the firewall settings on your router, because if your router is connected just now and your IP is 81.96.40.181 its blocking ICMP ping to your IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back