Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntl networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukpup

Technical User
Nov 16, 2003
GB
can can anyone help....... i am trying to network 2 home computers. one is running win xp and is connected to the internet via ntl broadband and the other is running win xp pro and is sending and receiving ok but will not actually allow me on line. After research on the internet i now realise that ntl only provide one isp address and cannot find any info on configuration. Has anyone out there achieved a network connection with ntl or know how it is done.

You need to either:
a. buy a router (£40 ish - average 4 port SoHo router)
b. setup the connected PC to share the connection

Solution a:[tt]
NTL -- cable modem -- router |-- PC1
|-- PC2
|--
|--
[/tt]

Solution b:[tt]
NTL -- cable modem -- | NIC1 |
| PC1 |
| NIC2 | -- PC2
[/tt]
or[tt]
NTL -- cable modem -- | NIC1 |
| PC1 |
| NIC2 | -- switch |-- PC2
|--
[/tt]

Solution a is the easiest to setup, but requires buying a router.

Solution b needs a second NIC (and possibly more wires) plus you need to use the Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) feature.

Using google to search for "ICS" or "Internet Connection Sharing" will provide loads of detailed instructions for setting up this type of connection.

Good luck!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

thanks for the answer marc. Went out and bought a router and now networked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back