Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntkrnl.exe missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I have tried the 3 setup disks to fix it but I keep getting a blue screen after it re-boots.
I don't have an ERD either.
The machine is 2 years old and worked up until now.

I need to be able to get eh registry files so the software and printers wil still be there.
Upgradeing did not work
I added asecond physical diak and installed NT on it so I can see the old C:drive that won't boot.
I can see all files and folders and some programs run
the machine just won't boot.
I need to get it back running with all software long enough to back it up.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

If you can access the original c: drive , you can generate a repair diskette. Generate a repair diskette on another machine and then copy the files in the repair sub directory under the original winnt over the files on the diskette. This will give you a recent repair diskette and should solve your problem. However consider that the most likely cause of krnl files missing is disk corruption ! in that case you might try some disk repair tools, but no guarentee thAT THE PARTITION WILL BE BOOTBALE.
Last resort copy the missing file from your new winnt directory to the old winnt directory, keepkin rebooting and replace missing files, time consuming but if you are desperate !

You can just boot with the orignal NT Workstation bootable CD through which you can install NT in that machine.
Choose Repair option and then repair it.
Remembre don't repair registry entries and defualt user profiles as it takes you at the start point of Windows Fresh Installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back