Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nth smallest is sorting wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurieHamlin

Programmer
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am using Crystal Reports 11 with an Access database. I need to pull a district number out of a string field then combine the various districts into a single string in order.
Taking the district out of the field works fine. When I take the nth smallest districts, I get:
11, 14, 16, 24, 1, 3, 4, 6, 7

instead of:
1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 14, 16, 24

When I pull out the district, I tried both taking just the number and also taking the number and if it's <10 adding a 0 in front of it. It didn't make a difference.
I also tried using ToNumber(). I tried it in the formula that pulls the district out of the string. That didn't work. I tried it in the nth smallest formula. Still didn't work. I tried creating another formula that simply converts the district to number, and using that formula in the nth smallest formula and that didn't work.
I hope that's understandable.
Any ideas?
Thanks a million in advance.

Please show the content of the formulas you are currently using.

-LB

{@dist}
If Length ({ToBeElected.District}) = 33 Then
Mid ({ToBeElected.District}, 20, 3)
Else
Mid ({ToBeElected.District}, 21, 1)

{@offterm})
{ToBeElected.Office} & {expires}

{@dists}
Select Count ({ToBeElected.Office}, {@offterm})
Case 1: Minimum ({@dist}, {@offterm})
Case 2: Minimum ({@dist}, {@offterm}) & ", " & Maximum ({@dist}, {@offterm})
Case 3: Minimum ({@dist}, {@offterm}) & ", " & NthSmallest (2, {@dist}, {@offterm}) & ", " & Maximum ({@dist}, {@offterm})

that goes up to 16, but obviously it gets very long

Thanks.

Try changing the formula to:

If Length ({ToBeElected.District}) = 33 Then
totext(val(Mid ({ToBeElected.District}, 20, 3)),"00") Else
totext(val(Mid ({ToBeElected.District}, 21, 1)),"00")

If that still doesn't work, please show sample data that includes the other fields, all labeled.

-LB

Thanks! That got them into order. I just had to add
Right (Minimum ({@dist}, {@offterm}), 1) & ", " & Right (NthSmallest (2, {@dist}, {@offterm}), 1) & ....
to get it to display as 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 14, 16, 24
instead of 01, 03, 04, 06, 07, 11, 14, 16, 24
easy enough
I appreciate the help.

You could have simply used the formula I suggested for sorting, but used the actual field for display.

-LB

LB,
I ended up doing that because the
Right (NthSmallest (2, {@dist}, {@offterm}), 1)
made such a long formula.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back