Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS5 NTFS4 incompatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic773

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
I just installed a 40 gb maxtor drive that was formatted and partioned on a win2k computer (NTFS) into my winNT machine. Certain directories will not open saying "file or directory is corrupt and non-readable". WinNt also says it cannot check the disk for errors. I think this may be due to the fact that the disk is using a newer version of NTFS than winNT. Tonight I plan on putting drive back into WIN2k machine, backing it up, putting it in winNT reformatting, then putting it back in win2k and restoring everything.

Does anybody have a better idea? Installing win2k is not an option.

What is your service pack level on the NT machine? I thought one of the earlier SP's updated NT to NTFS5 (not sure, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere). If so, installing SP6a may solve your problem.

Other issues could relate to permissions set on folders, etc when the drive was in the W2K system.

I'll check it out. I have all the latest service packs installed.

From Windows NT 4.0 Server Service Pack 6 (README.HTM)

"When you mount a Windows 2000-supported NTFS volume under Windows NT 4.0 SP6, NTFS for Windows 2000 features are unavailable, and Chkdsk can't be performed against the volume. However, most read/write operations function normally if they don't make use of any NTFS for Windows 2000 features. Also, since files can be read and written on Windows 2000-supported volumes under Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 may need to perform "clean-up" operations by running Chkdsk on the volume after it's mounted on Windows NT 4.0. These clean-up operations ensure that the NTFS for Windows 2000 data structures are consistent after a Windows NT 4.0 mount operation."

Does this mean to run chkdsk over a network on the drive in a NT box, or maybe I can just take it out of the NT box put it in 2k box run Chkdsk and put it back and everything should be ok, or what?

The service pack readme is telling you that if (as in dual-boot config) you mount and access the NTFS5 volume in NT4.0Sp6, then return the volume to Win2K you may have to "clean-up" inconsistencies in the way NT4.0Sp6 has written to the volume.
In your case the directories and files that were inaccessable in NT4.0 may be caused by the way Win2K writes the data, as if you have some permissions, encryption or other Win2K feature being applied to those dir/files and NT4.0 cannot understand them anymore.
If you format in NTFS4 and then mount this in Win2K and write these files again, it may be that Win2K cannot use those features in the older format, so these features won't work and NT4.0 will read the files later just fine. Or that Win2K will still create files that NT4.0 cannot access because these feature can be written as part of those files even on the older format type.
I don't know which would happen, please post what works or doesn't if you try this.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.