Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS write capability yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWM

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
I see that linux-ntfs.org has a new (7-14-2006) ntfs write driver.

Has anyone used it or any other to read & write Windows system files? These are of course permission-restricted.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to troubleshoot Windows directly at the system file level! (And not have to create, for example, a parallel install of Windows to access a crashed OS.

Thanks,
MWM

I say repent and turn from your M$ ways lest ye go to hell in a hand basket. There are many onther file systems that can be read by both linux and Windows. Is there any good reason for sticking with ntfs?

... but windows will only install on FAT32 or NTFS. Since FAT32 has no security or journalling, that leaves windows running on NTFS. Sure, you can then load other FS drivers into windows, but the OS files are on NTFS.

Verily I repenteth every day and even unto the end of time!

(Like today, when, for some unknown reason, one of my Windows machines is slow as molassis--unusable.)

The purpose of writing to NTFS is to recover another unbootable machine and use linux as a live-cd source. I have seen on that some distros tout NTFS write capability. Are there any "gotha's"?

The user data is still there but without replacing some NTFS system files directly the thing won't boot.

Learning expeience: these days it is not enough to recover data files; the user experience is a complete PC environment with all the applications and preferences. And this is a harder job than just grabbing data files from a downed disk.

So an image and, even better, an additional snapshot using migration software, such as CA Disktop DNA Migrator, is needed.

Then one can recover not only the data but also give he user back all their preferences.

Have you ever had a call-back from a customer because the mouse cursor tails were not long enough or the desktop did not have all the "right" icons in their "correct" place?

Yours,
MWM

Can't you just make a Windows boot disc? I think you can pick any additional drivers when the cd is created. This way you can access the hard drive in dos mode and fix whatever you need from there. You might also be able to run windows in safe mode after booting from the cd.

Thanks. This machine is hosed so badly that even the XP CD repair function results in blue screen. It gets to a certain point in the rebuild when it is loading devices and goes BSOD.

Fixmbr and fixboot don't help. And it even fails to boot into safe mode.

But I installed a new HD and XP Pro and it is happy as the new boot disk, so the machine hardware seems to be OK (having had to replace the power supply and the CD/DVD first).

You are correct, though,in getting command-line access to fix things, likely at the registry level.

But this is perhaps just as agonizing as reinstalling all the applications and going thru the user setup from the beginning.

So now perhaps I will add image backup and migration software to the list of necessary items for clients, just like anti-virus and anti-spyware have become standard.

Sadder but wiser perhaps.

Yours,
MWM

You might want to look at Bart's PE, a Windows bootable CD that runs the XP Preinstallation Environment. It will give you Windows access to the disk, write capability a USB drive and write access to the hard disk.

I still prefer KNOPPIX and the captive NTFS driver, but if it is a Windows environment and you are trying to get a Windows user to use it, Bart's PE is pretty good.

pansophic

Thanks. I have not even tried Bart's PE or that environment for a while, though that may also be something I need to learn.

In the meantime, I have bailed out and gone thru a clean install and app reinstall. And, also, I have started making image backups of client's machines. Perhaps images will save me from this sort of predicament in the future.

Acronis has an image product that allows an image to be restored onto dissimilar hardware (for an additional $29). Very cool.

And, yes, I also am moving to a LINUX WORLD. VMWare allows me to launch various distros as needed for the client troubleshooting, as each has their strengths and weaknesses. Very cool technology.

Next step might be to learn how to make images via linux that can also be restored to dissimilar hardware. Then I would not have to buy Windows imaging software for each machine.

Thanks again for your help.

MWM

If you find VMWare pricey, and who doesn't, you may want to check out Parallels. I've only heard good things about them and will probably move that direction rather than upgrading my VMWare.

pansophic

You can't create VMs using their free software,
Suggest you try it.... The Server is Free as well as the Player. I'm running one of my servers with 3 VM's - all created by me.. for free..

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back