Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntfs vs fat32 windows2000 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoughboyII

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
Hi guys I have a question over this summer we are going to be installing some windows 2000 Servers, right now I'm setting up 14 workstations with a pre-installed copy of windows 2000 prof. I noticed that they came as fat32 and not ntfs. Not knowing that much about 2000 should I match the file type as to the file type we will have on the servers or can I leave it fat32 and servers(once here) as ntfs? If you need more specs let me know but thats the run down. Oh these are 40gig drives I thought you could only create a partition of 4gigs for ntfs???

Here is a good FAQ on this very subject by maddogtech. Check it out. So many ?s regarding the benefits of NTFS -> sum up
faq616-729

Also NTFS5 in Windows 2000 can see MUCH more than 4 gig.
James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Sorry forgot to add. I suggest that you convert all the drives to NTFS. You get better security, and a much better file system. You can do so by typeing at the RUN command:
convert c: /fs:ntfs

c being the drive letter of the drive you want to convert. If your main drive is d: then type d: James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I would definately convert the file system to NTFS, it is more stable than fat, fat32. Just for the security factor, I would use NTFS. The system files will only install on cylinders less than 1024, but you should have no problem with seeing the rest of the drive. You may have to make it an extended partition. I hope this helps!

Jared Abdul
Network Engineer
MCSE

NTFS, without a doubt !
However, you might want to take some time to get familiar with it before you modify all computers. I would suggest you work on NTFS (let's say on your workstation) for a while before you do the rest of the computers.
Make sure to understand security and permission rules on NTFS... errors can be hard to correct !

Good luck ! S. Gagner
MIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back