Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntfs.sys corrupt or missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlav

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
JM
Start PC and before get windows gui screen an error says 'Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt - winnt/system32\drivers\ntfs.sys'. How can I fix this?

boot up using a restore disk\2000 install disk... safe mode might work but I doubt it. Once the OS starts it'll sync that file

Tom

What command should I use at repair Console?

First I'd try running chkdsk c: /p from recovery console - reboot and see if that's fixed it. If not, go back into recovery console and rename \winnt\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys to something else then copy \winnt\system32\dllcache\ntfs.sys to \winnt\system32\drivers\ & try again. If no good, expand the ntfs.sy_ file in \i386 on the install disk you're booting recovery from into \winnt\system32\drivers\ (it will probbaly be an earlier version of the file, but if the other 'fixes' haven't worked, worth trying).

chkdsk, rename copy didn't work. How do I expand the ntfs.sy_ file in \i386 on the install disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back