Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andr3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
ZA
Hi guys
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a couple users that keep deleting files and folders in a share on my central server.
Now I wanted to restrict them from doing this so I set Special Permissions and denied users 'Delete' and 'Delete Subfolders and Files' rights. Now, when they try save a file to this folder or even just renaming a file they get access denied's - "Source file may be in use" errors and so on...

I think this is very obvious, but I cant think anymore. And waiting for permissions to get set on ±122000 files is a bit much.

Thanks in advance...

You should be able to unflag delete subfolders and files within the advanced settings of the permissions area. This should not allow them to delete the files or folders, but will allow them to create new ones, edit, etc..

I am experiencing the same problem, and I have the <delete subfolders and files> option unchecked. When I log in as that user, they are able to delete any files in that folders. I used to be able to do this under NT4, but now under 2000 I have been unsuccessful. Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back