Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

arell12

Technical User
Feb 17, 2005
CA
I have a quick questions about shares in Windows Server 2012.

When I create a new SMB Share - Quick. It gives the Everyone Group full permission for the Share access. For Folder permissions it inherits the permissions from the parent folder. When you create the new share in the Root of drive its inheritable permission see to be too inclusive. I assign a specific group folder permissions and it works for those users, but it also works for other users not in that group. Seems like the inherited permissions are giving too much access out of the box?

Always use Advanced Sharing to have more granular control.

You can uncheck to inherrit permissions fromt he parent and choose to copy permissions at that time to see the specific permissiosn assigned and remove what you don't want at that point in time.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

No trees were harmed in posting this message, however a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back