Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS partitian 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladygnome

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
CA
I understand that it is better to format a larger size hard drive with NTFS. I had to fdisk and reformat my large drive and reinstall Windows XP due to an error. However, I couldn't remember how to install NTFS particians as I only did it once or twice a long time ago. Can anyone outline the procedure they would take. I have a maxtor diamond hard drive. Also is it true that Windows XP only understands up to 32 gig? I have a 40 gig drive.

Thanks!

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

PS. Don't go chasing any updates until you have a firewall up and running.

Thanks, those links seem to help. I thought it would be easier. I know when I tried to install, it didn't give me the option of choosing NTFS. So I guess next time I will need the startup boot disks. I had quite a bit of problems, but I should be more prepared next time something like that happens. I'm not using Linux and from what I can tell that one command is a Linux command, but thanks anyway, it may help someone at some point.

Hi, I suggest to use the PowerQuest PartitionMagic to change your partition to NTFS. It makes the change without destroye any data in your hardriver.
The partionMagic 7.0 is good for using.

Atephung007

"I'm not using Linux and from what I can tell that one command is a Linux command, but thanks anyway, it may help someone at some point."

You lost me with that comment. What linux command?

If you use the XP setup CD as per supplied link to do your formatting it will offer you the choice of NTFS or FAT32 file system. You don't need any start up boot disks as long as you are able to boot from the XP CD.

You can also use the Convert command to change a FAT32 partition to NTFS.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

the easiest way is just boot from the WINDOW XP CD.
Keep going on to installing new OS.
it'll search for any exsisting windows OS.
Pick no on repairing any kind of windows OS.
then you'll get prompt for Keeping the existing Partition...and few other options.
it's better if you pick the *delete the existing partition* option first, then pick *format under NTFS (quick)* option.

sorry for the bad describtion, but i'm doing this off the top of my head.

hope this help

I have to thank you all so very much! You have some great approaches and I have bookmarked them all for future reference. I think because I was trying to upgrade and not do a full installation that I wasn't seeing the formatting options when I booted from the XP CD. If it wasn't that, then it was because I attempted to use the MaxBlast CD to partitian originally. I had so many problems that I don't know what I did first, second, or third any more! LOL.
But now I know that there is a convert command, a console, and an option when loading the CD that I missed somehow. Plus I know how to get startup disks if I need them. I may just use Partician Magic and NTFS it as one person said since the deed is already done. All very helpful information. I appreciate all of your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back