Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS or FAT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Should I use NTFS or FAT system when installing W2k?

I asked a similiar question. Please read this thread. It should answer your question.

thread779-470711

Semper Fi! Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

I read through the links and maybe it don't stick out but I did not find the answer to my question. These links talked a lot about win XP and such.

Yes or no or suggestions?

Thanks.

Redneck

It depends on your setup and projected usage. The only real advantage of fat32 is its easy to access if problem booting the operating system (eg, boot from win98 boot floppy). In virtually all other respects, ntfs is superior (and if you've a really large disk - > 128GB, just about obligatory). On smaller disks/partitions (< 30GB), fat32 may be a bit faster.

One more remark:
NTFS is backwards compatible with FAT32, in case you're worried about old files or a remaining Win98 partition. You can still open everything.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

Thanks you TomCologne and wolluf for your info. Have finally got it to format the total HD (14g) as one drive. Will retry to put on w2k in the am. Since it is rather small I think I'll go with the FAT system. Will use the drive and cpu as a sort of server host to handle only direcway (2 way internet) and associated files (antivirus/firewall/etc). Will have a couple clients.

Thanks again.

Redneck

If security isn't an issue, you should be fine going with FAT32. However, you did mention that one function of this pc is to be a server with several clients. So, unless you plan on exposing the entire system to any traffic that may cross, you may want to reconsider.

Yes, it's true that FAT32 can perform equally if not faster than NTFS on smaller partitions. However, this has only been shown in some benchmarks, which actually show more of a trend than a certainty. In other words, don't pick FAT32 under the assumption that your system will see a speed benefit. Depending on the type of apps/processes running, speed may be on the side of NTFS in some cases.

Just my 2¢

~cdogg

&quot;The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.&quot;
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back