Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS issues, when copy files from NT4 server to server 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPink

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2007
DE
I'm migrating my users homedir from an NT4 server to a Win 2000 server. I need to move all the folders, keeping the NTFS rights, but I can't seem to do it.
The folders on the target server gets the NTFS rights that they inherits from the top folder, none of the original rights are copied.
The servers are in the same domain.
I have tried from a workstation and from the target server, logged on as a member of the domain administrators.
I have been using robocopy, richcopy and permcopy. None of these runs from the sourceserver.
Another weird thing that might be related to this is, that when I look at the properties for a folder on the sourceserver from the targetserver (or any other PC), the security tab show sort of an error, saying "unable to display security information."

Weird stuff.

Real life needs a mucical score.
------------------------------------
Dr. Pink isn't in today, he's gone insane!

I have been using robocopy, richcopy and permcopy
mmm not sure that will help with the SID. I take it you have not used ADMT and The User Account Migration Wizard

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

@58sniper : yes, you would think that, wouldn't you? But it doesn't. The NT4 server a domain controller for the domain that the 2003 server is a member of.

What flags are you using with the robocopy command?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

robocopy absolutely maintains NTFS rights when the right flags are used. I've used it for years to move terabytes of data.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I have no doubts, that you have used it successfully, but from NT4 to win20XX? I have tried with different flags: SEC, COPYALL, DATSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back