Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS Conversion fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjverzal

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
US
Hardware: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Problem: When I try to convert my FAT32 partition to NTFS, it fails saying "disk failed free space check".

I've opened up an issue with Micro$oft, and they've had me try several things. They had me apply a hotfix (which was included in SP1...) and it did not work.

I've got 13GB free, and 4GB used. According to the tech documents I've read, I did the calculations on the estimated free space required and it comes to about 67MB.

Last I heard, the support guy I was working with was talking to developers. They are telling me to resize the partition with a 3rd party product and try again, but if I do, they won't be held responsible.

Anyone out there got anything more substantial ?

Thanks, Bill.

Use Partition Magic..if MS's convert.exe util is failing, you need something more powerful.

The good thing is..Partition Magic will pay for itself over, and over again in usefulness to your company. Just because you NEED it right now doesn't mean you'll never use it again...it's an invaluable tool that any and all Computer Professionals should master.

If partition magic doesn't convert it..it just can't be converted! I have near infinite faith in that software..i can't say enough good things about it.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I already have an investment in System Comamnder 2000, but it won't install ("...needs exclusive access to the system...blah blah blah")

Thanks for the reference though - I'll keep it in mind if I get my back to the wall.

BV :)

Did you run Scandisk with a thorough check to ensure the drive is not having problems? If there are issues with bad sectors or corrupt files this will cause an NTFS coversion from completeing. Run scandisk to check this. Then rerun the NTFS conversion. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Already ran it. Several times. Also did it in safe mode.

Thanks - Bill.

What were the results? How are trying to convert the drive? What command do you use? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

That error you get trying to install system commander might be a clue..

Have you recently used disk administrator to switch drive letters at all, and is your system setup properly with permissions?

Grant all of C: full control to "System" and "Administrators" - as well as any other admin account.
Make sure ownership belongs to administrators, and that you are logged on locally..NOT on the network when you try to convert.

Convert C: /fs:ntfs is the syntax, and if you have the free-space, you should get a message that the convert will be scheduled for the next time you reboot, etc..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

I have done no drive letter changing at all. The syntax listed in the most recent post is the syntax I was using. I turned off the share for C$ and tried it again. It told me that it wanted to restart to do the conversion, so I let it.

"Insufficient free space for conversion", despite the fact that I have 13GB free.

Thanks, Bill.

Well - supposedly this was fixed in SP2, but you said you already have SP2, and a hotfix for it.

Just to verify - these files on your computer should have these properties:

8/8/00 6:55p 5.0.2195.2103 85,168 Atapi.sys
4/27/00 5:05 5.0.2195.2073 4,432 Intelide.sys
4/27/00 5:05 5.0.2195.2073 3,088 Pciide.sys
4/27/00 5:05 5.0.2195.2073 21,936 Pciidex.sys

If this is the case - you must use Partition Magic to either convert it for you, or resize your partitions to a "Workable" size.

Accordong to MS in article:
..The cause is the logical block address is not calculated correctly on certain IDE drives. SP2 was supposed to fix this, so 3rd party is your only other solution aside from reinstalling Win2K on specifically NTFS partitions, or smaller FAT32 partitions that Convert.exe can handle.

Just a quick check..go into your BIOS, and check for and LBA settings in there, and activate them if you have it. LBA must jive in both the BIOS and OS in order to work, and if W2k's looking for it, and can't find it..your BIOS might not be set to use it.

SCSI devices always use LBA, and if you have a Western Digital HD, go to and grab the file called WDTBLCHK.EXE. That will check to make sure large drives are supported by your BIOS. If not - you may need to update your BIOS.

You should check Toshiba's site for a BIOS upgrade..looks like the newest version is 2.50, and the default version is 1.60 - so there are a lot of fixes.

Good luck..i still say use Part. Magic tho! :)

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Just for your information, Fat32 only has 512b clusters and NTFS has 4Kb clusters. Any conversion from Fat32 to NTFS (including Partition Magic) does not increase cluster size to 4Kb. They remain at 512b. Only a fresh install on NTFS partition will generate 4Kb clusters. I've maid this mistake before. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back