Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTFS and FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMcG

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2000
IE
Does anybody know if it is possible to a primary disk formatted to NTFS and a secondary to FAT?<br><br>I recently upgraded a PC to NT from 98. I intstalled a new primary and installed NT and put the old drive as the secondary.<br><br>The old drive is FAT but NT wont recognise it.<br>

NT doesn't recognise FAT32, which is the standard file system when formatting in Windows 98... There is a utility/systemdriver which you may install to read from the FAT32 disk.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's called FAT32 for Windows NT 4.0.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Lars

This FAT32 driver is not free. Only the read-only version is shareware (no time limit).<br><br>By the way, it is possible to convert fat32 into fat16 that windows NT can read but I don't recommand this unless the disk is smaller. By the way, I won't recommand any of these FAT which are very dumb file-systems...<br><br><br>David Burg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back