Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntdll.dll error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwf

MIS
Sep 20, 2005
CA
I have a laptop that when boots gets a Ntdll.dll error and the o/s will stop booting (XP Home), i've tried a fresh install but i get the same error and can get no further, so i thought i'd mount the corrupt hdd externally to another laptop, the hardware being used is recognised but there's no hdd icon in 'my computer'. The mounted hdd is turning as i can hear it spinning. Would the mounted hdd be faulty or is there another way to get another copy of the .dll to this corrupt hdd?

While it is not recognized in My Computer, is it seen in Disk Management, or even in the Bios? Is the Bios set to recognize external USB drives and other USB Devices?

Is this a recent occurrence such as after the last few Windows Updates, or has the drive been showing signs of trouble in the past?

You could try running ChkDsk/ r from the Recovery Console.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

While in the Recovery Console you could use the Copy command and replace the current Ntdll.dll with a current NTdll.dll from another source such as other machines, or same version (ServicePack number) CD etc.

Your hard drive manufacturer will have free bootable diagnostic software to thoroughly check the condition of any suspect drive.

the drive was going through a restore point when the owner decided to turn off the computer mid way through the restore, this is when the ntdll.dll error occurred.

i've tried a fresh install but i get the same error and can get no further,
Here I would suggest what Linney mentioned, in that you check the drive with the tools provided by the drive manufacturer...

also before you do a fresh install again, wipe the drive by running it through DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) that way any left over problems on the drive are gone... You must remember that a FORMAT does not destroy the data on the drive, but will only wipe the MFT... Thus, doubtful but, it is possible that a left over file could cause trouble...

DBAN

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back