Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntbackup to disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbl4me

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
Hello,
I have a windows 2k3 server, running ntbackup tp a DDS3 tape drive (12/24GB). The problem I have is that the tape is full now each night and I need to move to somthing larger. I have looked at DAT72 and AIT but the costs are pretty high.

What are the disadvantages to saving the backups to a network location. I can easily provide 80+GB of network storage for much cheaper than ait or dds5. Is it more difficult to restore off of a network disk? I have had a successful restore off the DDS3 so I know that the tape works, but Im concerned about moving to disk based backup.

Well fortunately I haven't had to restore either server, but after looking at the price I went with external HDs to use for backup of my 2 remote servers. You can get 160G for a little over $100, I bought 3 for each location, one to take home every night and the 3rd incase they forget to bring back the one from home. Works well for me.

I use external HDs as well. I have 5 that I rotate and can take off site as well. I also use a program called Backup Assist which is an addon to ntbackup which greatly enhances it and adds new features. Its only $150 too.

You can backup to a network location but you cant take it offsite in case of a fire etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back