Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntbackup restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

roche

Technical User
Aug 24, 2000
US
Hello everyone, very new at this...

We use ntbackup to backup our exchange server and I am needing to restore a single user mailbox. When I go into ntbackup and select the restore option I see three folders which are:
logfiles
mailbox store
public folders

When I click on one of these folders the right hand pane shows no data. I looked in the logfile and it shows that the backup took about 5 hours and it backed up about 6gig of data but I don't see it in the folders.

Roche, I don't think ntbackup can restore individual mailboxes. That's something that BackupExec supports, but NTBackup can only restore the Directory or Information Store.

Here's something from the horse itself:

"Exchange 2000 does not support Single-Mailbox Restore with tools and products from Microsoft. You can find several third-party backup programs that support Single-Mailbox Restore, but the Ntbackup.exe tool cannot perform this function. Exchange 2000 does provide Mailbox Retention, a feature that enables you to retain a deleted mailbox for a specified period of time before permanently deleting it."

So check out the Mailbox retention feature at
You can also restore the entire Information Store to a separate recovery Exchange Server. It will have to be installed with the same site and organization name. Restore the Information Store to it and log on as an admin. Give the admin the right to open that user's mailbox. Dump all the mail to a private folder (.pst file). Move that file to the user's computer and open it with their Outlook client. Now they'll have all their mail back.

Hope this sends you in the right direction.

Shackdaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back