Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTBackup "System State" & A Default "Exclude" Of NTDS\*

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchwaAsmism

Technical User
Aug 20, 2010
US
Hi,

I am getting ready to "adprep" an ailing 2003 R1(?) DC because it is holding back my 2003 R2 from promoting to an DC.

Anyway, I went to experiment with NTBackup -- hoping to backup the "System State" -- and find that the "Exclude Files" has defaulted to excluding "C:\WINNT\NTDS\*" and "D:\WINNT\NTDS\*"...

Anyone know why this is so? It would seem to be excluding the very thing it needs to be including to get a backup of the AD; and, looking at the detailed log produced by NTBackup, it show no sign of having backed-up NTDS.dit... Isn't that the very file that houses the AD db?

What's more is I even took the exclusions out and it still seemed to exclude NTDS.dit...

Help?

You don't need to backup these files, most of them are locked anyway. AD is part of System State backup on Windows 2003 DC.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Thanks. I went ahead and AdPrep-ed... all went well, so I didn't need to freak-out and I didn't need to restore my NTBackup. I still can't figure out why NTDS.dit isn't vital in case a restore is necessary because I've heard it is the AD more-or-less.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back